Thursday, June 9, 2016

Foreskin: A poem

What am I doing
Writing stories hollow
While injustice prevails,
Outside my burrow.

Swartz, Dabholkar, Hitchens, Dey
Are dead and gone
The forces of evil
Are at a dawn.

And I, corny and cheesy
Talentless and unmindful
Comfortable in my environs
String together a rhyme.

All around me, better people
Suited better to tasks they’re given.
Who am I and what, my purpose?
Around people clearly more driven.

I’m the double, the foreskin, the appendix
Here because of privilege and means.
Thinking and mulling,
Taking forever.

The world owes us nothing,
Neither its fruits nor its luxuries
Neither its gifts nor its rewards,
For we are the sole purpose for our miseries.

If, reader, you stand at a precipice like mine,
Then may this become the singular rhyme;
That tips you over into the valley of action,

Overcoming your inertia like I’ve never done. 

No comments: