Monday, May 5, 2014

Hamara Neta Kaisa Ho?

Let me begin by clearing the air about my political inclinations in 2014: BJP.
Why? Because they appear to me to be the least of all evils. Because despite their murky past, their current leader appears forward looking and promising.

However, this piece is not about politics. Okay, maybe it is, but it surely isn’t ONLY about that. When I say ‘neta’, I am not referring to what it is usually taken to mean in English, that is, a politician. Here, I am harking back to the original, politically irrelevant definition of the word which is best translated to ‘leader’ in my limited understanding of the two languages.

The question I’ve raised is to do with our idols, the leaders whom we look to emulate as people. How must our leaders be? How must they dress up, behave and conduct themselves? I shall be addressing these questions, or hoping to do so to my best ability in the coming paragraphs.

I believe a leader is most definitely rich and prosperous. I firmly think that s/he is not starving or wanting in basic needs. If anything, s/he must be someone well-off with their head held high and feet firmly rooted to the ground. Their appearance should not be diminutive but impressive and imposing. They must be dressed in good clothes, commute in the swankiest of vehicles, reside in the poshest of places and have the best luxuries at their command. I am not painting a picture of excess but surely one of industry and prosperity.

 Lest I am accused of possessing traits of a ‘capitalist pig’, I will say that I am indeed pro-capitalism but not anti-poor. And yes, I sincerely believe the two can co-exist not just harmoniously, but complementary to each other. Richness is a quality we must all extoll and promote. The ‘aam aadmi’ does not want to remain ‘aam’; s/he only wants to grow in wealth and affluence. The poor does not wish to remain grovelling in the lowest pits of poverty forever, hence we must NOT idolize images of modest living and austerity. We must advocate a life which is grand and incandescent in every sense, a community of haves without have-nots. There will always be the less fortunate and the more fortunate, but our aim in life must be to attain a state of living which allows us to sustain ourselves without pinching the pocket every time.

One is not a villain simply because one is born rich or has acquired riches as a result of one’s hard work. Social sensitization is totally independent of wealth. Case in point: Bill Gates. One of the richest people in the world is also the greatest philanthropists of our times.

If we must venerate something, it is a life of wealth and hard-earned fortune. Our priorities should be diligent toil and personal hard work which will eventually uplift the society as a whole. And what better way to manifest our greatest ideals than in our leaders?


1 comment:

Rohit said...

I couldn't agree more. One must not be anti poor but anti poverty. I hate poverty but not so much that I will use criminal means to eradicate it. A very well written piece by a very clear headed thinking mind.