Tuesday, June 13, 2017

From dust till dust: a love poem

We see the same lights,
The same sun, the same stars.
A million shadows from the ancient past,
The reflection of everything, alive or dead.

Stardust are we, and to stars we will return,
After suffering together on this pale blue dot.
A spec of a spec of a spec in time,
Two minuscule drops in an ocean, sublime.

We float around and swim about
Without will, without tact
Attracted by ethereal bonds,
Until we come to die.

In this dying light of day,
I long for the touch of your lips.
Tired, paining, suffering bodies,
Yearn to unite for once.

While searching for meaning in faraway lands,
We forget that death does not end life.
It took us a lifetime to realize,
Non-existence is what bookends life.

As they take away your mortal shell,
Away from me, forever to be;
My very being shatters and breaks,
For one glimpse of you among the stars.

I know you’re now a cosmic entity,
Unconscious, un-living particulate matter.
I still remember looking up at the stars with you,
Until you became one and I can only wait.

Maybe a million years hence will an atom of me,
meet one of yours in the blankness of space.
Maybe a flash of recognition, or maybe not,
Will come upon what is left of the two of us. 

No comments: